Pickleball is Growing Across the US, Is Milwaukee Ready?
Last year we wrote a little snippet on the sport Pickleball. It is a sport that is exploding throughout the US. The Munson Tennis & Track Division is very well aware of this explosive growth, and is available to assist you in selecting the right surface and accessories for your Pickleball court.
Here is a look at the numbers in this article by American Sports Builders Association
Everyone in the sports facility construction industry knows pickleball is popular; however, with the inaugural US Open Pickleball Championships scheduled to begin on April 26 in Naples, Florida, it’s a good time to review the almost explosive growth of the pickleball industry:
- 1,000-plus: The number of athletes expected to participate in singles, doubles and mixed doubles play at the US Open
- 46: The number of pickleball courts in East Naples Community Park (ASBA member connection: the courts were built by Mor-Sports and surfaced in DecoTurf, with Har-Tru the supplier of other equipment; if other members were involved, ASBA would love to hear from you.)
- 1: Stadium court for finals matches
- 50 million: The estimated number of people who will see the finals when they are televised on CBS
- 2 million: Estimated number of players today
- 8 million: Estimated number of players by 2018
- 385% percent: Increase in numbers of places to play pickleball since 2010 (A place to play is defined as just that – a place to play. It can be anything from a gymnasium with pickleball lines to a facility designed specifically for pickleball)
- 912/76: Number of places to play added in 2015/the average per-month number of places to play that were added
- 64 percent: Increase in membership in the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA) since 2010